Monday, December 14, 2009

4 years ago today...




Today we celebrate the life of my beautiful baby girl, Maya.  It was 4 years ago today that she passed away at two months old.

It's hard to believe 4 years have passed, and yet it seems like a life time ago.  It's hard to explain what her life means to all of us.  I know as each year has passed I miss her more- for the two months I held her in my arms and the life time I missed.  We use to joke around in the NICU when she was born that her twin brother Matthew would someday be a Husker football player and she would be a cheerleader.  I like to think now that she is cheering us all on everyday.

Today, I was blessed to be able to spend the day with family and friends.  I was also blessed to receive some beautiful flowers from some dear friends.  I am always so surprised with the support from our family and friends.  Thank you to each and every one of you who reached out to us today!  You truly are a blessing to us!




Every year we make angel sugar cookies.  The kids love to decorate them and it is fun way for them to be included in the days activities.


 

 

 

 

 

 
 The guys got into the cookie decorating for the second batch!
 

 

 
 Nathan was master decorator for the first batch.
 
 Jacob didn't really care about decorating.  He just sat and snitched the dough.
 
 Every year since Maya died I have wanted to decorate a tree in her memory.  Over the last four years we have collected a lot of ornaments in her memory.  This year we used the tree Jared and I bought our first Christmas together and started decorating with her ornaments.  I was half way done when suddenly the tree fell on me.  The bottom braces broke.  Jared managed to wire it together, after the kids had a good laugh that the tree fell on me.  I wasn't able to finish decorating it, but I'm happy that I can say it is her tree.  Covered with reminders of her life and of the special angel we have awaiting us in heaven.  Here are a few of the ornaments we have on her tree...
 









The half decorated tree... I will be buying a new tree
 the day after Christmas for next year.
 

 The beautiful flower display from the Hagan Clan!  Thanks, guys!

2 comments:

Bley's Blog said...

I love the Christmas tree in her memory. Such pretty ornaments.

Linda said...

This is very touching. Thank you for sharing. You're an inspiration. ♥