Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Lack of interest"

I don't like to use my blog for a way to voice my opinion about things that happen in the community, but today I am.

I don't like politics at all- on any level. I think that politics can be a wonderful thing, if used the way they are intended, but I don't think this happens all that often.

When I vote, I vote for people who are going to make decision's that are best for the community, county, school, state... (you get the picture). Sometimes I vote for the wrong person and other times I'm right on.

Last night was one of the moments when I had to scratch my head wondering what happened. Although it didn't exactly shock me by any means.

Lately, there have been a lot of complaints about our Internet in town. Many people feel like their needs are being ignored by the company that supplies the Internet. After hearing from people that they would love another option for Internet, Jared started going through the process of finding a way to provide it. A family member even came to us and said one of the board members was hoping Jared could get something going.

The village board, here in Palisade, was faced with a building permit for a tower going up for the wireless internet. This tower would have been in a residential area. This is why I could see the permit being denied, although every inch of Palisade is "residential area". The problem was, even before the meeting Jared was told the permit wouldn't pass. Walking up to go in the village office he could over hear a conversation about how they need to vote to make it fail. There was obviously a lot of talking going on before hand.

Now, I'm all for the board voting for the best interest of the community- even if it means I am denied something. What my problem is, is when they just don't vote. Needless to say there was one person who voted for the tower, and no one else said ANYTHING! They didn't explain why they didn't want the tower, they didn't say, "We don't want this in a residential area". NOTHING! Therefore, the permit died because of "lack of interest". Interesting. Is this the way we want people to feel when they come to the community with a new business? Sorry! Lack of interest!

Give me a break!

The really ironic thing- right before this meeting they had a "City Improvement" meeting, and I was told during this meeting they talked about needing new businesses and needing to see Palisade grow. HMMMM. So does this only include the situations where your friends with the person putting the new business in?

We are left to come up with our own reasons why this was denied. I know if I was a larger corporation standing there and the Village Board acted that way, I wouldn't be very quick to invest in the community.

So was this in the best interest of the community? Who knows. without communication and a reciprocal dialogue between our village board and their constituents, we'll never know!

10 comments:

Peyton and Sawyers Place said...

AMEN! I'm ABSOLUTELY as dumbfounded as you are about the whole thing Miss... I sure hope Jared doesn't give up. Joe & I are looking forward to something OTHER than Great Plains!!

The Hagan Clan said...

Sorry to say this...but to me Palisade has become a joke...I sit back and watch these people come in and try to make a differnce but for who...themselfs. Its like this if wasnt there idea then they arent going to go for it...but if was, well you know the out come would be! Again it just takes it back to high school days...drama drama drama...if your not the COOL people or the DRUNK crowd, then your nothing...you here the word community...Sharing, participation, and fellowship of a town that are family build for us and for our kids ect...but when have this group come and tared that down that our family work so hard to build...it makes your heart break....do we really want this for our kids...do we want to show our kids that this is what communtiy means! Hang in there girl...Its one of those thing just have to keep pushing for! Show your kids not to give up...when you want something for you, your family and might do some good to the community fight for it!!!

Connie Lawless said...

The last I knew it was illegal to discuss agneda items before the meeting! It is illegal to decide on how to vote before the meeting. I too would like something different than Great Plains. I am really sorry this happend to you guys. After what we have gone through this summer I am not suprised but I am disapointed in this community.

Anonymous said...

Well Miss...this doesn't surprise me one bit. You both know what I'm talking about. I totally agree with the previous posts! Please don't give up!!! Love you both....

Dave Ja Vu said...

What a ridiculous way for a group of adults--never mind elected representatives of the town--to behave. I, like you, understand the decision. But the behavior of those three? CHICKENSH*T.

Though I wasn't surprised to hear who two of them were. That little elite clique is really hurting the reputation of that little town.

And I ever-so-politely beg to differ with Aletha. I love Palisade and always will. You folks deserve better internet and a provider that will actually respond to outages.

I applaud Jared for seeing a need and recognizing a business opportunity. That's how stuff gets done. It's actually a pretty bold, brave move to invest in such a small town the way he has.

What isn't brave is sitting in a board meeting where you've been elected to serve the best interests of the community and pulling shameful tactics like this one instead of engaging in a respectful dialogue about your reasons for concern.

Grow up, people. And get some freakin' backbone while you're at it.

The Hagan Clan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sixbehrs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

Its really a shame that a few malcontents have to ruin something that could be really great for our community. But in this community that is something that we should all be getting used to it seems like. Tell Jarod not to give up...We really do appreciate all he's done for us.

Sharon said...

I have heard over time about all these other options for Internet and thought it was sad that just because we choose to live in a rural area we had no other options but our one company. Options help competitive pricing, service, etc. There is nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. But this action...It makes me wonder if the board gets a cut from Great Plains?!?! Obviously they aren't thinking of anyone else in town but themselves and or their own agendas.

Being on a board means being open, willing to listen, fair, un-biased. Doesn't sound like our town board to me!

I for one would love to see another Internet option in town. (Cheaper would be great too!!) And there is nothing on that lot now that it would go on. If they are worried about zoning or whatever, what about the cell phone tower?!?!

Anyway I think it is really stupid and I think the board just hung themselves. The trick is to get good people in there next election.

Deb said...

If the concern is that it would devalue people's property values, that is insane! I live across from the cell tower, and actually it is probably the best neighbor I have, as far as noise and all! :) But, seriously, I think my property values are sooo much more affected by the trashy trailer and all the junk across the street, the overgrown mess behind me, the race car being revved on weekend mornings and such. If only the village board would enact on that mess. The cell tower and fields are always well maintained!

I hate that we are always pushing for economic development in this town, yet we close this down without even a discussion! What a waste.

Keep on, though I know it is hard to want to step up, after you have been disrespected. Maybe now there will be enough people willing to stand up WITH you and voice their opinions where it really matters.....the village board.

Just my thoughts.