Thursday, August 26, 2010

******

So, I've decided to make some changes around here lately.  For one, I recently deactivated my Facebook account.  There are many reasons behind my decision, but the main one is it is a HUGE time suck.  I would find myself on Facebook when I really needed to be doing something constructive with my day.  I was also finding it to be more and more negative on a daily basis and finally decided it was time to try it.  I told myself that I would give it a week and see how things went.  Well, I am now on day 3 and so far I don't miss it.  I have spent more time talking on the phone, spending time with my kids and trying to get my house clean.  I say trying to get my house clean because no matter what I try to eliminate from my day I still have 4 kids at home and that leaves me with continuing messes. My brother, Dave, also jumped on this bandwagon and we are now challenging each other to see who reactivates their account first.  I'm pretty sure I have him beat on this one!  :)

We are also in the process of two boys starting preschool very soon. I'm having a very hard time wrapping my mind around that reality.  Nathan will go to preschool in the morning and Matthew in the afternoon.  So, before they start this new adventure I am spending as much time with them as possible.  Luke just started 3rd grade and seems to really enjoy it so far. 

We are also in the process of moving Jake to a toddler bed.  We have tried this before and Jake ended up trying to sneak outside, so it makes me a little nervous.  Wish us luck!!

4 comments:

Linda said...

I'm going to keep looking for you here on the blog then, as I will miss you there!

It's interesting that you bring this subject up right now, as I've been thinking about the very same thing with respect to Facebook. Still, I don't really want to deactivate my account because I have family and friends there that I wouldn't have had the daily chance of getting to know without it. Sad but true due to distance, schedules, and just the fact that people who only know each other slightly - even family - are not likely to call one another up and say "let's talk".

So... I'll very likely keep my facebook page. BUT.... I'm not going to be there very much anymore. The past few days, I've been there less and especially in the evenings - I'm determined to stay away so that I can utilize my time with things that really matter most. Like you mentioned - cleaning, spending time with my immediate family, and really just doing all of the things that I used to love before Facebook.

All that being shared, I will still have my blog. Because this - writing - is what I do and I won't give up the gift that God blessed me with (even if sometimes I get frustrated with blogging as well).

I hope your children do well in their new school year. All of these adjustment periods are difficult, in my opinion. Sending along prayers and good wishes for a wonderful, blessed school year. :)

Linda

sixbehrs said...

I've thought about this before, too, Missy. I think I would go crazy without it, though (which probably means I'm addicted!). But you're right--it can be so time-consuming if you let it, and I do let it quite often! Food for thought, for sure!

Blackmans said...

Thank you, Linda! I will be checking your blog often! I hope to be updating mine a little more than before. As long as everyone cooperates! :)

Sara- I know I was addicted. But I was so surprised by how good it felt to get away from it. I tried to get on it less, but I found myself increasing the amount I was on it everyday. I wish I had a little more will power than that! :) I guess quitting cold turkey, for me, was the answer! Well, for now anyway.

Dave Ja Vu said...

I haven't missed it either! I find I spend a whole lot more time actually talking to people now!